After cutting, pinning and sewing the borders to the top, the next step is to fold, press and glue the corner into place - yep, no problems there. Then over to the sewing machine.
For my first corner I ended up with a hole.
Ok, so I repaired the hole and stitched up to the seamlines on the other borders, so it didn't happen again.
It's not pretty is it. What a mess! And why are the seam stitches showing on the top like that?
The second & third corners weren't much better
Again, the seams have pulled and the stitching is showing.
So the seams are stretching as I sew, or at the ironing board, I don't know. None of the corners sit flat, they all have little peaks, like tents.
As you can see, I'm also having trouble pressing the seams correctly.
So I'm kinda embarrassed to show these pathetic corners, but I'm hoping someone can help explain what is going wrong here.
Before putting on the borders, I measured up all the corners, making sure they were perfectly square and flat. Once the borders were on, the corners are distorted with little tents on each one. My top is now all wavy around the edges, even after trimming back to size.
For now I'll put it aside until I can get some hands-on advice. I think I need someone to physically show me how this is done, so I can understand what I did wrong, before I try again.