Quilter's Academy - Volume 2 - Sophomore Year

Vol 3 - Junior Year

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Vol 3 - Project 2 - Broken Dishes

Well I got this one finished.  I played around with the design a little and couldn't resist adding a bit of contrast to all that blue!

I actually finished the top a little while ago, so it didn't take as long as I thought it might.  Using Harriet's triangle piecing techniques I got decent results.  Although I did lose a few points here and there, overall I'm happy with the process and the results.
A closer look.......
I thought I might display a bit of what I've been up to between blogs.  Remember the Final I made at the end of Vol 2?  I put it together during the Tassie bushfires and wanted to quilt it appropriately.  Here is the finished quilt.....
Fade to Black
I adapted a leaf stencil to look like flames and quilted it in 2 different variegated threads.  On the edge of the border I quilted 'smoke' using a variegated black/grey thread and a swirling pattern I did freehand.
The piecing was simply grid quilted.
Here's some pics of Non Harriet projects I've been working on............
Hip to be Square got quilted........
Mostly stitch in the ditch with a bit of stencil work.
Purple Rain is huge - fits a King size bed with quilt to spare!

Stitch in the ditch, free form on the braids and stencil work on the borders

I don't like the free form I did, I need to work on this style of quilting.
This one was for my Granddaughter's birthday.

There are 25 outfits to dress the dolly with.
Quilted with a variety of stencilled hearts

Milly playing with her "paper' doll quilt.
A quilt for DIL Sarah
Anni tests Sarah's quit for comfort.

I used blue pounce powder for the stencil work and was horrified when it didn't wash out.

It took several washes, an application of vinegar and a commercial stain remover to get rid of most of it.  The white thread still has a grayish tinge to it but the off colour has now become part of the quilt's story.
I also have several appliques which are works in progress, one is even a hexagon which I'm doing by hand - this is definitely a long term project - lol
One of the appliques which is now a completed top and awaiting quilting.
Until next time.................Cheers!



Saturday, September 7, 2013

Vol 3 - Project 2 - Harriet's Vintage Rainbow Broken Dishes

This next project is a very pretty quilt, as you can see............

Its construction is quite simple, but it's not fast as being precise is very important. 
I've chosen to make mine in cream with a selection of blues - I used a heap of scraps in all shades of blue.
The technique Harriet chose to make the triangles is 8 from a square - although you can choose to use any of the methods from the techniques section.  I quite liked the 8 from a square method, and was happy to use it.
The cutting, sewing and trimming to make the triangles took quite some time, and I'll admit to doing this part over a couple of weeks. 
A little corner of my cutting table dedicated to making HST's for this project
The instructions for putting the blocks together are very thorough, and this time my results are much nicer.  No lost or floating points. 
I'm even working without using pins, as the pins can distort enough to get those seams out of whack.
One completed block. A bit fuzzy, sorry - but you get the idea.
I have a whole pile of these to do and as I said, it's slow going while I get used to the technique.  I'm sure the piecing will get faster as I gain confidence in the method.
Stacked and ready to piece together.
Up on the design wall, slowing growing...........