Quilter's Academy - Volume 2 - Sophomore Year

Vol 3 - Junior Year


Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Getting Portable with Applique

While I'm really enjoying learing the craft of machine quiliting - I believe I also need to learn how to hand-stitch.  Also, it's really handy to have some portable stitchery to take along to groups or for when sitting in front of the TV.  So I got ambitious and began a wall hanging.  I figured that as it's large ( 30" x 30") by the time I finish it, my hand-work will have improved a lot.

It's a stained glass reverse applique called Dragonfly.  Here's what it's supposed to look like when finished.


My colours will be a little different, but you get the idea.

Using the pattern instructions and some great tips from Harriet's Mastering Machine Applique book, I got started.


After tracing the pattern onto freezer paper, all those little shapes have to be cut out with a craft knife



After fusing the paper onto black fabric, all those little pieces need to be cut out again!

It's a fiddly and messy procedure - the tiny seams left from cutting out need to be turned back onto the paper and glued down.  I use a toothpick to roll the fabric back.  I managed to get glue on the fabric already.  I'm only cutting out one or two sections at a time, so the pattern stays square on the fabric.

I started hand-stitching it last night.  Getting used to working with a thimble is a challenge - I find it awkward and uncomfortable, but quickly found it to be a necessary evil.  I decided on a simple running stitich, trying to keep the stitches small.  They are very uneven at this point, but the whole idea is to improve isn't it?

This one is going to take a while!



No comments:

Post a Comment