Quilter's Academy - Volume 2 - Sophomore Year

Vol 3 - Junior Year


Monday, March 7, 2011

Vol 2 - Project 7 - Card Trick - Quilting, Classes and a NHP

Last week I finished the straight stitch quilting on Card Trick.  Stitch-in-the-ditch and linked squares in the blocks, which I did with the "sew 2 inches, pivot, sew 2 inches, pivot" method - 8 times per block - fairly tedious work.

For the triangles I selected a Fleur-de-lis design to do free-motion, but decided to hold off on doing these until I'd completed a free-motion class which was coming up.

The class was yesterday, run by local quilter, Helen Ducker.  A nice small group, we covered all the basics including setting up the machine, cleaning and thread tensions.  A bit of thread painting in a hoop was fun, and also spending time drawing the designs before attempting to stitch them.  Helen spent a lot of time emphasising speed control and favours the go-slow style of FM rather than the pedal to the metal full on style.


Helen at work

Well, what a difference!  My version of slow was very different to Helen's and all through the afternoon, Helen would mutter "slow down" at me.  Helen showed me how to use my ankle to control the speed of my machine, rather than the ball of my foot, as I had been doing.

I must say the improvement was immense! 

After the 6 hour class, I was inspired enough to finish the quilting on Card Trick and I'm really happy with the results.
FM Fleur-di-lis

Still not ready to stop, I decided to stipple in the black areas.  I chose to do this for several reasons - to flatten the background so the colours would 'pop' - to help cover up some poor seam sewing - and for more FM practice!
I still haven't had enough FM - I'll keep going with the stippling today.

NHP - FRENCH BRAID QUILT

During the week between quilting methods on Card Trick, I took a class at my LQS.  The Patchwork Cafe opened in my area last November, and they have been growing steadily since.  I signed up for a class or two in order to support the store and to meet local quilters.  The turnout was rather disappointing, there being only 2 students, but apparently the beginners classes are full!

The project was a French Braid, and although I really don't need a new project to work on right now, it was an interesting one to do and I learned quite a bit.

Yellow & orange are my 'current colours' and I pulled this lot from my stash.  The focus fabric I spotted at another LQS while looking for something else.  With this fabric added as separator bands and borders, the finished quilt should be eyecatching!  The next class is in a week, where I learn to put it all together.




 


1 comment:

  1. Oh, my! Harriet told me the same thing during her class - I was full throttle, but my work improved vastly when I slowed down to half-speed! You were fortunate to get into a free motion class. It really is helpful. Your Vol. 2 Project 7 quilt is stunning and the oranges in the NHP are amazing! It will bring sunshine to a room in the middle of a foggy day. I love it! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete