Quilter's Academy - Volume 2 - Sophomore Year

Vol 3 - Junior Year


Monday, December 27, 2010

Vol 2 - Project 5.5 - Cabin In The Cotton - Rita's Quilt

The quilting was finished in record time - ready to be gifted to my MIL for Christmas last Saturday.  My concerns with washing luckily came to nothing and I was pleased with the overall look of the finished quilt.

Finished and looking pretty!

I was a little heavy-handed with the markers - phew, they washed out completely!

No colour bleeding at all - red and white together is always worry!

After washing and shrinking - this texture from the quilting is just what I was after

The back (where you can actually see the quilting)!

Mother-In-Law Rita likes her new quilt
 - a fitting gift for a bed-ridden lady

The drag I was experiencing during the quilting gradually got less and less.  Maybe it was all the pins?  There were a lot of pins in this quilt, especially in that wide border, and as I removed them the quilt slid more easily under the needle.  Or maybe whatever caused the stickiness wore off as the quilting wore on.  It's still a mystery, but I have a clue.....................

Maybe it was Cat Drag!

Happy New Year from Floyd






4 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, I am so familiar with cat drag. The quilt is a real beauty! Karmen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very pretty quilt. You chose a lovely setting. I find that the first half of the quilting is always the hardest. The pins make it very heavy and often difficult to move around. Please be aware that some polyester battings will absorb the blue dye in marking pens and hold it there. It's a good idea to soak the quilt thoroughly before spinning and drying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cat drag!! How I giggled. Your MIL looks very appreciative of her new quilt.
    One more thought on needle breakage you mentioned earlier, it occured to me if you are putting the Titanium needles in your Pfaff Grand Quilter that's the reason they broke, the Grand Quilter takes a different system of needle in size 75 and 90, not the regular domestic household system which the Titanium coated needles are. You can use the Titanium needles in your regular Pfaff taht you piece with, but not the Grand quilter- their needle type is quite different - Easysew will be able to help you as they keep stock of these needles in the store (just ask) Check your user manual, its HL x 5 or HL x 1 but I can't recall now which sort they take. All the semi industrials of that sort that Janome make under license for both Pfaff and Husqvarna Viking need that special needle. Don't know why I didn't think of it before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please visit my archives on batting choice information and advice I received from Harriet Hargrave in her class.

    Rocknquilts: Batting choices

    November 2010

    ReplyDelete