Quilter's Academy - Volume 2 - Sophomore Year

Vol 3 - Junior Year


Sunday, October 17, 2010

Vol 2 - Project 5 - Cabin in the Cotton - Julie's Quilt - Quilting

Julie received her quilt yesterday - she's very happy with it.  I did tell her that there's plenty of errors in this quilt, but if she doesn't look for them, she won't notice them! 

I ended up with very simple quilting for this top.  I started marking scallops (Julie's Rainbows), but even with only marking every second curve from the stencil, I could see that there was going to be way too much texture, which wasn't going to suit this design.


So after marking half of the top, I changed my mind and decided on a very simple grid instead.

The blocks are quilted diagonally with invisible nylon and the sashings with a colourful variegated thread.  The binding is scrappy, made from left-over fabrics.


Julie's Quilt

It looks pretty funky from the back!

Final approval from Ollie


3 comments:

  1. Lesley, Julie's quilt looks fantastic! Well done. I've been following your blog for a couple of months now and I find it so inspiring. Thanks, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, great choice on quilting. Don't they say the quilt will 'speak' to you. :) I have learned so much from Harriet Hargrave's books and now so much from reading your blog. Kudos and thank you. Deb B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't visited your blog for a little while and I'm surprised how much you've done! Lovely quilts and if Julie ever becomes tired of her bright one I'll have it :)

    ReplyDelete