Follow the progress of a beginner quilter working her way through Harriet Hargrave's series of Quilter's Academy Books
Quilter's Academy - Volume 2 - Sophomore Year
Vol 3 - Junior Year
Thursday, May 20, 2010
Project 10 - Double Nine Patch
WhooHoo - here I am at Project 10 which is well underway. I added a single border, selected my design, marked the top, sandwiched, basted and ditch stitched it and am now ready for the free motion.
All marked up and ready for the machine
I've chosen a simple sunflower design for this, for obvious reasons. There are 3 components to quilt with the design, the circle, the inner petals then the outer petals. Um, actually there are 4 with the little lines on the petals and ..oh.. the griding in the centre makes 5!
I needed to use the light-box to trace this, and reassured by Harriet that it will wash out clean, I marked the top with a blue marker. I used a Mark-Be-Gone marker and I love this! The lines are bright, not too fine and so easy to see. I tried it on a sample and the lines disappeared instantly when I popped it into a sink of cold water. Not the case with the red quilter's crayon I also tested - even after an overnight soak the red markings were quite visible and had even bled into the fabric a bit. It will need soap and I suspect some rubbing to remove the lines completely.
Sadly, I managed to dry the Mark-Be-Gone marker out and had to try other makers to finish. I wish I could remember where I got it - I didn't even realise I had it until I went rummaging around. The Roxanne's Quilter's Choice pencil in silver worked well and I also had another go with the Clover pencils. I even managed to figure out why the pencils kept breaking - no I wasn't pressing too hard - the pencil leads would simply pull out of the top of the pencil as soon as I sharpened them. In frustration I bought a Clover pencil sharpener, and the problem was solved. Why a normal pencil sharpener causes the leads to break inside the wood I have no idea, but I think now I am covered in the marking department.
There are a total of 25 of these sunflower designs to free-motion on the quilt top.
I am a little nervous about free motion on this top, as there is lots of white space and the quilting is going to show! There is not a lot of busy prints for my quilting to hide in, so I hope I can get it together and do a decent job. After the sunflowers are done, I'll do a diagonal grid across the top, working through the centre of each flower. I fiddled around with border stencils a lot until I finally decided on simple channel quilting, working diagonally from the centre of each border in opposing angles. Drawing this up was an interesting exercise for me, getting the angles and lines to fit properly. I hope to sort it out when the time comes to sew.
For this quilt I'm using Matilda's Own 100% cotton batting, Sew Art .004 nylon in the needle, Gutterman cotton in the bobbin and a size 70 Microtex needle, then switching to Coats & Clark Star Egyptian cotton for the border work.
The quilting essentials!
Learning from my experience with the previous quilt, where I suffered pleats and tucks, because I chose to use a basting spray and not ditch stitch first - I did an all-over SITD with this one.
Again taking advice from Harriet (and why wouldn't I, since that's what this blog's all about) I didn't use the edge foot for ditch stitching, but switched to an open toe applique foot. Now the edge foot is great but with this foot, I can see exactly where the needle is going and finished all the SITD with (almost) no glitches.
Open toe applique foot for ditch stitching
Look Ma - no pleats!
INTERLACING CIRCLES UPDATE
I wanted to share the finished quilt with you all. I can't believe how far I've come with my quilting since I did the first one - back in March I think. It just shows what practice can do - organising the lessons so that all the quilting comes one after the other is genius - not only is my work improving, but I'm enjoying the process more and more.
Finished, washed and laid out to dry
The little bit of stippling makes the hearts pop up
Lots of shrinkage and wrinkling with this one - unwashed fabric and cotton batting will give this look