My biggest problem is no longer seeing and staying on the lines (thanks to my small FM foot) but getting the quilt hung up all over the place. It gets stuck under the table, on a corner, at the edges. It complains if it doesn't have enough room in the harp and refuses to budge, determinedly sewing in one place until I fiddle with the packaging. The worst though, is when the quilt (or a pin) gets stuck on the pressure foot take up lever. On my model Pfaff (Quilt Expression 2048) the take up lever sits to the side, sticking out to the right. This is nice and easy to reach when sewing, but doesn't quite work when quilting FM. When the quilt gets caught in the lever, it either comes to a sudden and very unexpected stop, and/or the pressure foot drops down, and the quilt stops moving (but my hands and feet keep going). Anyway, enough excuses - here is what it looks like........
The back is quite wrinked, while the front is smooth and flat. Is this the result of pre-washing or of not stretching the backing tight enough?
Is it cheating if I don't post pics of the jerky ones?
This time, I have a solid backing, but that's not how I planned it. I tried my hand at dying, and as a first timer, I expected a patchy/mottled result - which is what I wanted. Of course the calico dyed up beautifully, with not a mottle in sight - so now I have a backing which shows the quilting, wobbles and all. I'm interested to see how this will wash up. The quilt top fabric is not pre-washed, but the backing is. I've used a cotton batting, so I'll be curious as to how it all shrinks up.
It's hard to see the quilting on the front because of the busy prints, but here it is - marked up and quilted....
Next are the borders. I am trying a new marking technique with this, using paper pinned to the top. I'm hoping it's simple and effective, but I have a feeling it's going to be more complicated than it looks.
But not till tomorrow as I just cracked a gorgeous dark chocolate hazelnut easter egg which needs immediate attention!