Quilter's Academy - Volume 2 - Sophomore Year

Vol 3 - Junior Year


Monday, February 21, 2011

Vol 2 - Project 6 - Four Patch Lattice - Orange Chalk Removal

The finished quilt

It's summer.  My sewing room has lots of windows and catches the sun in the afternoon.  On a warm day it gets hot - on a hot day it's like an oven.  So mystery solved as to why the chalk didn't dust off or wash out.

I remember marking this top and starting the quilting before going interstate for a week, then another week or so before I got back to finishing the quilting.  Meanwhile, the quilt has been sitting, folded in a sometimes very hot room for weeks.  The chalk had heat set.

I received a lot of advise on how to remove the marks, thank you all.  I trialled a couple of products on fabric scraps from the quilt and settled on Sard's Wonder Stick.  The samples were chalked really heavily and set with a hot iron.  Sard's completely removed the marks very quickly in cold water - so I went ahead and applied it to the chalk on the quilt and washed it in the machine.

There are still some orange markings I can see on the white fabric.  I was fairly sparing with the product, so another go should hopefully remove the rest of it.  It's a busy, blended quilt top, so unless you're looking pretty closely, the chalk won't be noticeable.
  
After Sard's Stain Remover

Lesson learned folks - mark and quilt quickly (I normally try to do it within a week) don't leave marked quilts sitting around in warm places, and that includes cats sleeping on them!



 





 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you found a product to take out the chalk! The quilt looks great.

    Cheers, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a relief to know there's a product out there that works! I wonder if it's available in the US? Thank you for posting. Your diligence sure paid off - well done!

    ReplyDelete