John was instantly drawn to the Card Trick project as soon as I received the book and reserved it for his quilt.
His next job was to select the fabrics. He very quickly chose a black background then picked out 4 colours in brights for the blocks. He does want to point out that he chose the brights-on-black combination long before Julie did for her quilt (Project 5 - Cabin in the Cotton - Julie's Quilt)!
Great selection John!
MAKING THE BLOCKS
Now a more experienced quilter would probably have known that these fabrics are not right for this block design. I know now!
I made and cut the strips and plonked them up un-sewn, on the design wall. See what happens when these fabrics are made into the card trick block.
Either there is a lack of contrast in the colours or the patterns are blending together too much to get the full effect of the card trick block.
I also have another problem with these fabrics. I only had just enough of the yellow and green hand dyes - and of course, in a senior moment, cut some of the strips to the wrong size, leaving me short. Hmmmm.
My options were to leave the project until I could get some more fabric, or get creative. I dived into my stash and came up with a couple of alternatives.............
Not bad - pretty close in fact.
I didn't have enough of the green (I only had a fat quarter) to re-do all the yellow and green strips, so I made an executive decision to mix in the alternate fabrics with the originals. Having realised that the blocks weren't going to have the proper effect anyway, I was happy with the substitutes. Here's what a mixed block will look like...........
No matter that the 'trick' of the block doesn't quite work - I like the fabrics and think the quilt will look fabulous anyway! The important thing for me is that I understand how to make the block and if I do it again, I'll have a clue as to fabric selection for it.
Up on the design wall I'm seeing that 'blending' effect which I like so much