26 fabrics - 24 log, 1 centre, 1 sashing - 40 large blocks, 16 mini blocks - complete!
To make the quilt square, I did the math then chucked it all away and decided instead to simply double the size, and double the number of fabrics. This meant I needed to add another 6 FQ's to Julie's selection of 18 fabrics
Spoiled for choice
Sewing the blocks was super easy (once you manage to figure out the correct way to align the logs)
Oops - wrong way round - where's that un-picker?
Random log picking. It was all pieced completely randomly, honest! Well, almost. When a block was mostly all green or all purple, I cheated, if there were 2 fabrics the same next to each other I cheated, but mostly they were put together by pulling random strips out of a bag.
Too many strips!
Although I doubled the amount of fabrics, I cut the amount of strips per FQ as required in the pattern. I ended up with far too many! There was some confusion also about which way to cut the strips, which I think added to my extra large collection.
Measure against the seamlines...............
............ then trim back to size
Harriet, in her wisdom, has you cut the strips 1/8" wider than required, then trim them back to size after piecing. This method gives you an extremely accurate sized block. The chain style piecing is super fast but the trimming is oh so tedious! Sew..press..trim..repeat..repeat..repeat...........................
After each compete round, I checked the block size against a template
I got there in the end, but have a look at the leftovers...........
I have enough fabric & strips left over to make another quilt!
Ok, so my maths isn't great, which is not good news as now I have to work out the sashing lengths. Wish me luck!